Monday, October 26, 2009

McKenzie Reviews! - My External Hard Drive


This the beginning of a new section that I like to call McKenzie Reviews! in which I give my thoughts and opinions on everything from technology, entertainment, movies, and music once a week. This week, I will be reviewing my brand new external hard drive - a Toshiba 500GB Portable USB 2.0 in Blue.

I was originally planning on buying it from Amazon, but they don't recognize college dorm addresses (what's up with that?). So, I went against everything I stand for and got it from Wal-Mart. For the amount of space you get and the fact that it's portable, it was a good price (around $90).

When I opened the box my first thought was, "Oh how cute!" And it really is. It is one of the cutest pieces of technology I've seen (please ignore the nerdiness). It comes in a very pretty blue color and when they say it's portable, they aren't kidding. It's really small and lightweight. I hope I don't break it.

I plugged it in to my computer for the first time, and it installed itself. I opened up the hard drive's folder in Windows and then ran the Setup that came with it. It was practically idiot proof. Once the software is installed, you just run a backup on both your files and your computer's local drive. You can customize it to update daily, weekly, monthly, or manually.

My only problem, was how long it took to back everything up for the first time. It took over 2 hours (ouch!). For a college student, that's a lot of time. However, after you backup your information once, updating it doesn't take long at all! Not to mention, it's also a very quiet piece of hardware.

I would say this was a very good buy. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new external hard drive and want something that is right for the price and size.

Hopefully coming soon: McKenzie Reviews Windows 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment